Re: [TowerTalk] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

To: mayhill8@iapdatacom.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:23:42 -0600
The following statements are my personal opinions:
1. I hate crank ups. You can't climb them (if you like your fingers and toes) and therefore you must use a ladder which is far wobblier than a nice tower. Also, they require lots of regular maintenance (if you do it the right way and you should).
2. Trylon or AN Wireless self supporters are quite nice but....
Most hams I know overload their towers. The specs from the manufacturers rate their loadings using a single point source antenna located 1 foot above the top of the tower. If you're going to stack these antennas on a single mast or even side mount them, I'd seriously consider solicting the help of a structural engineer who can calculate what tower to purchase.
3. There's nothing like a nice guyed tower, if you have the room to properly install the guys.
4. The AlfaSpid worm gear rotator is less costly but has more torque specs than the Orion. I have one and just love it.
5. Design the tower system to the wind specs in your area. Steve's site at Champion Radio has a link to the design wind loads in various areas. Then overdesign if you want it stay up in all possible cdx.

Hope this helps, Gd luck, Phil KB9CRY

Joe Palmer wrote:

Hi To All:

Am obtaining information about tower and rotor project and need some
advise.

Have 3 M2 mono banders to  install on tower.  Total sq.ft.
15/20.........
Live in moderate windy area.....Get some winds 25/30 mph winds in winter

and some stronger ones during the spring and summer rainy season........

Looking for tower and rotor recommendations........Crank up nice but
Rohn
okay too............Like the looks of the Orion 2800 rotor so won need
the
same to fit the tower.

Any advise is much appreciates es 73.

Joe