Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:38:46 -0500
At 07:41 AM 12/19/03 +0100, SM2EKM wrote:
If there are RF currents on the braid of the
feedline you need to cut the braid, that is from
an RF point of view. That you do with forexample
ferrite beads, as you correctly point out below.
I would put them as close to the feedpoint as
possible, if that doesnt solve the problem I
would move them.
Why complicate things with unneeded stuff, keep
it correct and simple and it will pay of in the
long run.

I think it was W8JI who pointed out that effective placement of bead chokes on feedlines can be somewhat mysterious unless you can somehow sniff out the current on the shield, so Jim's advice strikes me as right on. It's also not unreasonable to think about putting more than one on a feedline -- for example one might put one right at the feedpoint, and one at the point where the coax enters the house. I would also check the towertalk and topband reflector archives for his very sound advice on what mix of ferrite to use for this purpose, because he says the wrong ferrite in a transmitting application can generate a lot of heat with QRO power, possibly even destroying itself.

73, Pete N4ZR Happy Holidays Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm