[TowerTalk] if tramming, try a capstan

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] if tramming, try a capstan
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:49:12 -0600
A powered capstan is a much preferred device over a winch and especially a
truck.
This was the device of choice in my high level scaffold work.

It differs from a winch in that the drum does not wind the rope/cable
A single loop over the drum, the drum turns constantly, but you can control
the rope similar to a clutch.
Pull the free end and the friction between drum and rope produces pull.
Lighten the pull on the free end and the tram will stop and can be held in
position.

If your going to do a lot of tramming and precise control is required.
Rent/buy a powered capstan.
Used ones are available at boat repair places that deal with sailboats.

If you don't like this idea, don't bother flaming me...My wife handles that
chore quite well thank you.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS,it also uses up a thousand times the
memory.

Bill H. in Chicagoland