Re: [TowerTalk] stranded copperweld wire - reports please

To: w2up@mindspring.com, corneliuspaul@gmx.net,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stranded copperweld wire - reports please
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:23:06 -0500
At 06:45 PM 12/20/03 +0000, Barry wrote:

Avoid stranded copperweld!

A number of years ago, I built a bunch of lowband wires using this
stuff (purchased from Wireman).  Within 2-3 years it all broke.  What
happens is the strands rub against each other as it sways in the
wind, abrades the copper off, exposing the steel core, then it rusts
and breaks.  Never again!

Yes, solid copperweld is tough to work with, but I've never had it
fail.

I've also been quite happy with #14 THHN. I have used it in my 80m array, under very considerable tension, for 5 years now with no failures. I did reinforce the wire loops at the insulators with split bolts, out of concern that soldering might have caused the copper to weaken.

73, Pete N4ZR Happy Holidays Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm