[TowerTalk] QUERY

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] QUERY
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:26:09 EST
Greetings,

First of all, thanks to the many who have commented on SPG's and associated
grounding philosophy.? Lots of help garnered.

NEW:
???? I know not where else to ask this question; so here goes:

The latest issue of CQ magazine addressing HARP brings to mind a 30 year old
question.

Before I got into the intelligence business, I was a mere tenet,
NAVAIDS/communications officer on a SAC base, Walker AFB NM, (now
nonexistent).? Out near my VOR, NE of town, on a adjacent hill, I could see a
very large
helix antenna.? For sure, you know this a VERY large helix, if you can see it
from 4 or 5 miles
away.

The only publicity about this facility was an article in the local newspaper
addressing a night guard (USAF type) accosting an intruder who bumped him with
the intruding auto causing the airman to shoot himself in the leg!!? We all
knew better.? Yep, the airman was bored and was practicing quick draws.

So, my NCOIC and I decided we would go over and visit the facility.? The site
OIC was a second lieutenant who was cordial enough considering no
invitation.? Up close, to the best of my recollection, I could see that the
helix only
had a couple of turns over a length of about 50-60 feet.? The conductor was a
pair of large, copper tubes strapped together and fed by large coaxial cable.?
The helix could be rotated!!? I asked one of the tour guides if the antenna
would operate down to ham bands, to which he responded to at least 14 MHz.?
Nearby were a pair of orthogonally arranged metal/screen curtains and similarly
sized
ground screens with small verticals placed every so often along the length of
the curtains.? Each of these verticals were fed by
smaller coax, apparently arranged for steering  the receive direction.? The
OIC had a large EIMAC power tube, sawed in
half on his desk to serve as bookends.

I spied a door with "Transmitter Room" on a placard.? I peeked in to have the
door closed in my face.? I did see a COLLINS radio with four of those tubes
showing through the windows on
the front of the cabinet most accessible to my eye.? There were,
classically, glowing a cherry red.

So, folks, can anyone tell me if this was an early OTH site?? Or
what?? I was not on the air at the time, hence could not make any
personal observations.

The year???? 1962-1963.

Regards,? Warren, W5KKW