[TowerTalk] Trust Bearings - follow-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trust Bearings - follow-up
From: "Noel" <y.yaesurigs@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:31:19 -0500
Didn't mean to start dredge up what seems to be an old sore point about
whether thrust bearings should support the weight of the antenna. And
being new to this reflector I didn't realize the furor my choice of
words would invoke.  I've read almost all the old threads on the subject
of thrust bearings and they mostly mention the Rohn and Glen Martin
models.  So to help me decide I was just looking for recommendations of
which one to choose, and find out if there are others to consider. Not
to again debate if thrust bearings should support the weight of the
antenna and mast.  My concern besides durability in severe weather for
example, I like the Glen Martin (The TB-25) because it uses six bolts to
secure and center the mast, but I don't like the design because the
bolts to secure the bearing are inserted from the underside.  If they'd
make it more like the Rohn (TB-3) where the bolts can be inserted down,
I'd feel better because I was always taught that bolts on a tower should
be inserted down and out. (That'll probably start another war).  Still,
I appreciate everyone's feedback and think I'll probably go with the
Rohn because it meets my expectation of how I believe a thrust bearing
should be made.

Thanks again for all the input.
Regards
Noel