[TowerTalk] Inside and Outside Entrance Panels?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inside and Outside Entrance Panels?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:51:53 -0500
I'm in the design phase of re-routing cables into the house/shack and
have a question regarding entrance panels.

The plan is to have all of the feedlines and control cables come to a
box on the exterior wall outside the shack.  The box will have all of
the lighting arrestors and ground strap to a ground rod.

The question is getting those cables into the shack and what to do from
there.

My guess is to have a piece of conduit go from the box through the wall
into the shack. Do I then take the cables to another, wall mounted
panel, where the other 'stuff' is: bandpass filters, bias-tees (for rx
preamps fed through the coax), wattmeters, et al? That means another
piece of coax and another set of connectors.  I know thatthis is an
issue in the VHF/UHF world... should I be concerned in the (decidedly
little pistol) HF world I reside in?

A similar question in re: interface cables.  I've seen the HC8A (I
think) photo from N4ZR's Dayton presentation that showed hte use of a
large breakout box, as opposed to individual cables.  Is this
manageable?

The space behind my desk is is pretty tight (the room is small), and at
the moment, cables are draped across the back of the operating table and
stuff is sitting on the floor.

All the pictures I've seen are of outside panels, not inside stuff!

Thanks in advance.  While I may not acknowledge each response
individualy, I'll be happy to summarize the responses I get for those
interested.

73,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC