Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower? -Noper

To: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower? -Nopermit Required
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:22:55 -0500
On 1/9/04 11:33 AM, Bob Gates at regates@kingwoodcable.com wrote:

>You go to the building department with your plans.  They make a
>determination on
>whether or not you require Planning/Zoning approval.  If you do, you make
>application through that department.  Typically you are asking for a
>Conditional
>Use Permit, or words to that effect.  This approval is based on "what" you
>wish
>to construct

Here in Gwinnett County, GA, we have different sets of rules for towers
under 50 feet, under 70 feet, under 110 feet and over 110 feet. The
requirements become more and more stringent as the tower height increases.

However, obtaining the permit for my modest 49.5 footer was not easy. The
problem is the building department of the county doesn't know how to
handle them.

When I first went in, I asked them what I needed for my proposed tower
installation. After some time, they gave me some papers and I walked out.
On the way to the car, I realised that they gave me the paperwork for
towers over 110 feet.

I went back and they looked around some more. Finally they just gave me a
standard building permit form. Filling it out was really fun, since it
had a whole bunch of stuff that applies to real buildings, but not to
towers. (like, how many square feet of foundation? (Four), How many
bathrooms? (Zero))

The rest of the process took so long my wife had to do it during the next
few days. Seems the building department decided we had to jump through
every hoop they had. She had to go to the environmental department to see
if the foundation was going to have an impact. After waiting in line a
long time, they finally asked her how big the foundation was (Four square
feet). "Well, I suppose you won't need a soil perk test for that."

Each department kept asking questions that were obvious from the building
permit form. Finally, when they couldn't find any reason to deny the
permit, they issued it.

Everything else was downhill from there.

Even though it was such a hassle, I'm glad I did it. My neighbors
couldn't protest the tower, since it was properly permitted. My
homeowners would cover it, since it was properly permitted.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901