Re: [TowerTalk] stepping motors

To: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,<k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>, "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stepping motors
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:17:59 -0800
Steppers (particularly surplus ones) also tend to require a fair amount of
current (at least at the beginning of the step) at low voltages (designed to
run off 5V power supplies, for instance), and, if you want to run them fast,
require a modified waveform. That waveform may not be compatible with
hundreds of feet of control cable. I have used systems that had 200' of
multiconductor cable, but they were fancy Pacific Scientific higher voltage
motors and very expensive controllers.. certainly not 4 transistors and a
surplus 5V stepper from a printer or disk drive.

If I wanted to run a stepper at some distance away, I'd seriously consider
putting the controller with the motor and sending commands and raw power to
it.  There's a bunch of serial input (RS232,etc.) stepper controllers out
now at fairly low prices, and you could easily hook up an optoisolator on
the input.