[TowerTalk] Rohn 45G foldover questions

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G foldover questions
From: <mahlonhaunschild@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:48:46 -0500
Hello, list.

I have a couple of questions pertaining to Rohn 45G foldover tower design &
installation.  I have studied the most recent Rohn installation guide for the
25G and 45G towers.  My 45G foldover tower will be 68 ft, installed by the book
(e.g. two sets of four guys each, per the guying diagram in the book.  Five
foot deep by three feet square concrete base, w/UFER ground rebar cage).  And
actually it's the book that prompts my questions, as you will see:

1.  The book doesn't specify the use of the 45G short base for the tower in the
drawings or installation text, instead specifying that one entire 10 ft
straight section be used (embedding 5 ft of it in the concrete base; this
results in a 64 ft tower).  Some of the materials in the book seem to indicate
that the short base is allowable.  I'd like to use the short base if at all
possible.  Any ideas why Rohn would not use the short base for the 45G
foldover, and can you foresee any difficulties with using the short base?

2.  Are the two bolts used to bolt the hinge together at the shipping flanges
during installation (but removed to fold the tower over) to be reinstalled
after the tower is raised back to the vertical position, or are the two hinge
bolts plus the boom sufficient to keep everything in line during normal use?
(this assumes that the bottom of the boom is pinned where it encircles the
tower leg).  The book says to remove the bolts to fold the tower over, but
never tells you to put them back after you put it back up. Putting those two
bolts back in their holes might be a bit difficult...

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ