Re: [TowerTalk] grounding

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:57:09 +0000
I don't want to beat this to death but as others have pointed out, the NEC only
recognizes mechanical or exothermically welded joints.  Solder is not.  Solder
will melt during the first high energy surge.  Yes if you also have a
mechanical joint then you'll have that only after the strike.  But then, you
may see oxidation starting to build up in the joint and possibly rendering the
connection useless (meaning high resistance).  If Cadwelding is the way to go,
then why not just go there.  Cadweld "Oneshots" by Erico can be purchased for
around $5 -6 each if purchased in box quantities from an electrical supply
house and Harger sells "Unishots" by the each for around $7 - 8.  An all brass
(including brass bolts) ground clamp from Home Depot costs around $3 - 4 but
will need to be re-tightened a number a times throughout the year as the
weather temps cycle up and down thereby loosening the clamp.  That's been my
personal experience.  I just hate to find out someone spent a lot o
 f time and some money installing a grounding system and finding out later (in
a bad way of course) that it wasn't effective.  I don't like lightning inside
my house and I'd recommend to all that they not chince on this part of their
setup.  I'm agast when I visit other ops QTHs and look at what they don't have!
 Very lucky folks.  Phil  KB9CRY