Re: [TowerTalk] Re: SteppIR in Ice Storm

To: ragnar otterstad <la5he@yahoo.no>,Mark Beckwith <mark@concertart.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: SteppIR in Ice Storm
From: David Greer <davidgreer73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:55:58 -0800 (PST)
I got hit by the ice storm Sunday and it left my
antenna mast frozen in place. Thank goodness I have a
SteppIR beam. Since it was aimed toward the southwest,
I have been able to work NE and SW just by hitting the
180 degree button on the controller and turning the
antenna electrically which is all I can do until this
mess melts.

No ill effects at all from the ice. The elements
drooped no more than a conventional beam would have
under similar circumstances. I expected some detuning
from the ice but noticed none.

73, Dave, N4KZ
Frankfort, Ky.

--- ragnar otterstad <la5he@yahoo.no> wrote:
>  <mark@concertart.com> skrev: > Roger said about is
> StepIR with ice on it:
> >
> > > The elements were not retracted and were set for
> > 20 meters.
> >
> > >From what I know about these antennas, this might
> > actually have contributed
> > to the survival of the antenna.  Would anyone else
> > care to make wildly
> > unsubstantiated comments?
> >
> > N5OT
>

> I fail to see why a thin tapestrip of BeCu could
> contribute to the survival of the antenna. My bet is
> on the glasfiber !
>
> 73  rag LA5HE

> Få den nye Yahoo! Messenger på
> http://no.messenger.yahoo.com/