Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Feeding 2 Inv V's with 1 feedline

To: Didier Juges <didier@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Feeding 2 Inv V's with 1 feedline
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:34:31 -0500
At 01:32 PM 1/26/04 -0600, Didier Juges wrote:
If both dipoles will be used in the CW portion, I would tune the 40m dipole
first. Considering that the 80m dipole should have greater impedance at 7
MHz than the 40m dipole at 3.5 MHz, the 40m dipole will have greater
parasitic effect on the 80m operation, so you should probably adjust it
first. Now, if you want to tune the dipoles up in the band (such as the SSB
portion), or one CW and the other SSB, it makes probably less difference.

For many years, my main antenna system was three inverted vee dipoles off the same feedpoint, hung in a tree behind our townhouse. Separate dipoles for 10, 20 and 40 meters, the latter with W9INN coils to extend them to cover a segment of 80. As long as the dipoles were arranged so that they were not too close to each other (rotated 20 degrees or so from one another, as viewed from above), I saw very little effect from changing the length of one on the tuning of the others. Changing the included angles of the individual dipole pairs seemed to have a much larger effect on their resonance and feedpoint impedance than anything that was done to the other ones.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 9 Jan 04 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm