Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>,TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business
From: dan bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:19:42 -0800 (PST)
a similar situation happened in this general area many
years ago... i wont mention the calls of the hams
involved...

one night ham1 got a call from ham2 asking if he could
come over before a contest to do a little repair so he
could operate in the contest, unfortunatly ham1 was
busy, so , ham2 decided to do the work himself even
though he had never done any tower work and was afraid
of heights...

well, later that night (10 pm'ish) ham1 got a frantic
call from ham2's wife saying he had been on the tower
for sometime now and wont move or respond to anyone...
(the temperature was around freezing) so needless to
say ham1 went over to see what he could do... he
climbed up to ham2's position on the tower (less than
50' i believe) but he couldnt get him to move or
respond to anything... since ham2 lived way out in the
middle of nowhere and time was short the only solution
ham1 could come up with at the spur of the moment was
to pry ham2 off the tower and throw him over his
shoulder and climb down with him (not the best of
ideas) ... when they were safely on the ground ham2
still wouldnt say anything, ham1 took ham2's belt away
from him and told him to never attempt climbing
again.... interestingly ham2 never said a word to ham1
about the entire incident...

i am sure there are hundred's of stories like this in
the ham world...

Dan N8DCJ

--- "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> Being one who still does his own climbing even at my
> age (Joyce made me quit
> climbing for the young guys though) I think I can
> say with some knowledge
> that when you figure the average employee works 2080
> hours per year and hams
> only spend a few hours a year (if that) on their
> towers, we probably have an
> even more dismal record.
>
> I've climbed since I was in my early teens, helping
> my dad as a lineman on
> one of the old rural telephone co-ops.
>
> I don't mean to sound critical of hams in general,
> but:
> As most of the hams around here, who wanted help,
> have found; I want the
> tower to be sturdy.  I do not climb anything that
> feels like a wet noodle
> and I'd say the majority of ham towers fall into
> that category.  After all,
> most are small towers, maybe 40 feet and bracketed
> to the end of the house,
> or guyed with "Radio Shack" soft steel guy lines and
> using a dirt base
> (which is fine in many cases).
>
> The actual ratings of the tower seems to seldom be
> taken into consideration.
> Some of the plans I've seen are scary.  Fortunately,
> I've always been able
> to encourage the builder to take a safer route.
>
> OTOH it's not just the towers.
> I used to do the tower work for one of the repeaters
> about 60 miles west of
> here.  It was kinda handy as we lived about 400
> yards to the west of the
> tower which is on a good size hill.  Joyce and I had
> moved down here the
> previous fall.  We had a fantastic UHF/VHF location.
>
> At any rate, I was headed into town when I received
> a call over the Midland
> repeater asking me to please call on the telephone.
>
> It seems as if they were doing some work at the
> repeater site next to where
> I used to live and one of the guys decided if an old
> guy like me could do
> that work, so could he. (did I mention he'd never
> climbed before). Sooo...He
> made it up over the base which a concrete pier with
> the top about 8 feet
> above the ground.  I think it was some where around
> 40 to 50 feet when he
> looked down.  They needed help as he froze.
>
> I had to go home, get my equipment and drive nearly
> 60 miles. When I got
> there, he was still in the same place and position.
> That tower is not a bad
> climb, except it's difficult to get over the base
> and the guys at the mid
> point have an 18 inch band around the tower so you
> have to unhook and climb
> around it.  The tower is square and 2 feet across
> each side.  It's *almost*
> like climbing a ladder except you do have to watch
> where you put your feet
> due to the diagonal bracing.
>
> I went up and spent about 15 to 20 minutes just
> shooting the breeze with him
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/