Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-gain Hy tower

To: "Tower Talk" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-gain Hy tower
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:08:38 -0000
I use a modified HyTower on 160m with 4 elevated radials.  The first time
around I wound a coil and base loaded it but it turns out that at the top of
the tower there is a high voltage point between the tower and the stinger.
Blew a hole right through the 3/8" thick insulator at the top of the tower.
So I modified the HyTower to top loading.  I replaced the stinger with 2" od
boom sections to get it up to 50-60 feet and added 4 wires from the top that
slope outward for the top hat (the wires are cut to length for resonance and
then I use rope on out to the radial anchor points).  I call it my Gladiator
on steroids, but it's really just a version of the 160m Gladiator.  With the
elevated radials the feed point impedance came out to about 20 ohms so I
wound an unun (refer to Sevick's book) and it works great.  2:1 bandwidth is
about 60 KHz and to move from the cw portion up to phone I bring the top hat
anchors in a little closer to the feed point, which raises the resonant
frequency.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  ZF2JI FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A