Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 45 leg bolts

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>,"Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 45 leg bolts
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:05:50 -0500
 bolts

>The Tampa Amateur Radio Club is getting ready to erect a R-45 tower. We
need 8 sets of leg >bolts. Rohn specs call for 3 each, 5/16" X  2 3/8" NC
bolts and 3 each, 7/16 X 2 1/4" NC >bolts per section.

These bolts (NC = National Coarse thread) are to be Galvanized.  They fit
tight. NOTE that the ROHN book says to use a paper pin to enlarge the holes
if the fit is too tight. DO NOT drill out the holes for clearance.  They are
so heavily galvanized they aren't very pretty.

>Does any one have any spares on hand?

I think I have enough for a 10 section tower, but may have used a few.
I also have the guy anchor hardware and two thrust bearings.  I know one of
them is two inch. I don't remember if the second it two, or three inch.
I also have a spare rotor shelf which will aslo take the thrust bearings.
There is also one coild of the Extra High Strength (EHS) steel guy line.

>What does the NC in the spec stand for?
National Coarse and refers to the threads on the bolts.

>I would guess that any commercial fastener vendor would have suitable
bolts.
Be careful with the term suitable. Don't use zinc or cad plated.  Stick with
Galvanized.
Stick with the ROHN book for the assembly instructions and again, don't use
a drill or file to open the bolt holes.

I used a set of alignment pins (taper pins) that I drove in each leg to get
the proper alignment before attempting to insert the bolts.  I started with
the alignment pins in the larger holes (all three) and inserted the bolts
into the smaller holes.  I also used the taper pins to enlarge the holes to
fit. It took a lot of beating on the taper pins to get the galvanized bolts
to fit.  I believe Stainless of at least grade five are permissible, but I'd
want to check on that.

>BTW we also need a rotor shelf for the R-45 to complete the install.

Just happen to have one, or two.  It's been up, but is in good shape and
these things are heavy.
"I think I have enough hardware to install a complete ROHN 45 G including at
least one, if not two sets of torque arms and the guy anchor rings.

Give me a call if you are interested and can figure out how to get them
there.  (This stuff is heavy!)  If so I'll do an inventory and let you know
exactly what's out there.

Phone (989)835-9685 and wait for the answering machine.
N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)  www.rogerhalstead.com