[TowerTalk] Tower Placement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Placement
From: "Mike Gilmer - N2MG" <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 06:12:32 -0800 (PST)
> I'm in the planning stage of a tower. Do I put
> it near the house or farther away?

Some disadvantages have already been mentioned.

Some advantages for putting the tower further away:
1) Generally less RFI/TVI in the house
2) Further back is generally less conspicuous
3) As much as we like to NOT think about it, towers DO
   collapse and antennas break.  Away from the house
   is safer.  But I'd wager more hams get damage to
   their homes from sick trees than from their towers.

I'm in a rural area, so #2 was probably not much of an
issue for my getting a permit (though being more than
1X tower height from the house/road/powerlines surely
didn't hurt with the town officials).  #3 makes my
wife happy in wind storms.  But #1 is the real reason
I moved mine far away from the house.  ;-)

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com