[TowerTalk] Tuners

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tuners
From: "Bill Hawkins" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:53:50 -0600
I have always been a bit confused about antenna tuners. I contend that it is a
box inserted into  a feedline to fool the transmitter or amplifier into think
it is feeding power into a "perfect" load.  There are other theories.  This is
not the point of my question.

I place my SWR/power  meter after my tuner and tune for minumum reflected power
indicated on the meter. This makes the amp think it is seeing a very good load.
Or, if the amp is not on, the transceiver sees a good load.

I recently saw a couple of diagrams that placed the SWR  meter prior to the
antenna tuner. I don't remember what the articles were about but it has
bothered me ever since I saw them.

Is this an accepted method of SWR measurement? Can it indicate a properly tuned
antenna/feedline? Or was it a drawing error?

Bill W5EC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.