Re: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Radials (Buried or Elevated)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Gord Kosmenko" <gkosmenko@arrowspeed.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Radials (Buried or Elevated)
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:42:50 -0000
I had my 40m 4sq installed with 8 buried radials under each element at a
previous location.  Never was happy with its tuning or performance and
almost scrapped it when I moved.

As an afterthought and just plain why not - I installed it at my present
location with 4 elevated radials under each element.  The feed point and
radials are 9 feet above the ground.  Tunes and works great - good enough so
I went ahead and built an 80m 4sq with elevated radials and it tunes and
works great also.

Be aware that with elevated radials they are resonant and must be trimmed to
your desired operating frequency.  Put two up first and feed them in the
middle as though they were a dipole.  Trim from resonance and then install
the rest of the radials cut to the same length.  Then erect the vertical
elements (make them identical) and tune the system.  Works great, last long
time.  And no climbing when it comes to maintenance, if required.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  ZF2JI FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A