Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Problem

To: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Problem
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:55:20 +0200
Stan, this stack should work!

I have 2 fullsize 3 EL yagis (40' boom) stacked at 140' and 70'. It is
sometimes difficult to notice sharp effect on RX but on TX the stack is the
best 99% of the time!

Have you asked A-B-both reports from guys in the air?? If they tell you that
they don't notice difference there is something wrong with your system. I
get constantly reports like: lower-59, upper-59+10, both-59+20. I do not
tell them which is which before!!!

Even closer range EU stations give me best reports on stack usually.

But on RX I notice greatly improved pattern for the stack versus single
antenna. The modelling confirms that. The stack has much better F/B and F/S
what concerns high angle local signals. It is remarkable!! When beaming to
US I can hear a Russian station on upper antenna 59 but with stack he is
down in the noise.

The stack is too good for contest as a single antenna. I cannot work contest
without splitting some power to low dipole. As soon as I beam to US the
Russians will land on me to CQ and when beaming to JA, EU guys take the
frequency, impossible:)

Many guys told me beforehand that the lower antenna would not be much of
benefit at so low height and I would too just as well with the upper antenna
only as with stack - THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG!

I know the modelling gives just 1-1.5 dbi advantage to stack but real life
is different!

73
tonno
es5tv