[TowerTalk] 4' rods

Subject: [TowerTalk] 4' rods
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:22:13 +0000
Seems to me that if you have enough of them and the ground is always moist not too far down then 4 foot rods would be okay. Some of the commercial tower sites such as cell phone towers use 20 foot rods especially if they are in arid locations. So whether or not a 4 foot rod is okay depends on where you are located. I must say however that most parts of the U.S. would probably need a longer ground rod. In most of the north the ground may freeze down that far in winter; in a dry spell in summer ground may dry out pretty deep. I'd only consider 4' in a place like a Louisana marsh where I could probably get by with a railroad spike, hi.

Rob Atkinson

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."