Re: [TowerTalk] HELP Coax Phase Line Shield Switching

To: "RCARIELLO" <>,"Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HELP Coax Phase Line Shield Switching
From: "Jim Lux" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:01:53 -0800
From: "RCARIELLO" <>
To: "Towertalk" <>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 5:31 AM

> Hello to all,
> I am in the process of constructing a two element phased vertical system
> forty meters. I would like to be able to switch the antenna pattern
> direction remotely from inside the station.
> At first glance the information given in the antenna books seems simple
> enough. A single-pole double-throw relay to the center conductors of the
> Coax lines at a junction box and I am all set.
> Taking a second look it seems to me that the Coax shields should also be
> switched the same way. This would require mounting the Coax fittings
> (SO-239) on a plastic box connecting the shield side of the Coax fittings
> through a second single-pole double-throw relay.

Exactly... you need to be able to switch both shield and center conductor.

> I will be using Jennings RJ1A vacuum relays for the switching.
> I am shore there will be some degrade in the overall system performance as
 compared to a fixed direction system with no pattern direction switching.

Can't see why there would be degradation in performance... You're persumably
doing a Christman type phasing, so the match should be fairly good.
Assuming the elements are a reasonable distance apart (i.e. not 1/16
wavelength or something), then the reactive current between the elements
will be small, so coax losses should be small.  The loss through the relay
is negligible.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.