Re: [TowerTalk] Hand winch question

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hand winch question
From: David Greer <davidgreer73@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:01:46 -0800 (PST)
Steve,

Is the tower stuck? I have a US Tower TX-455 that
won't crank down. One way it ratchets up and the other
way should engage the Fulton winch brake system and
allow the tower to descend but it doesn't. If I turn
enough in that direction, it just unscrews the winch
handle.

I posed this dilemma on TT last fall and got several
replies but no one had the answer. Neither does UST or
the winch manufacturer. My tower does not appear bent
(it's new) but this situation developed after a
windstorm last fall. I think the tower section is hung
up on something but I will have to get someone to go
up with a bucket truck to see what's going on up
there. But if you have a Fulton boat winch, there's no
switch or anything that reverses direction. It simply
ratchets up or uses the brake system to slowly slide
down.

73, Dave, N4KZ

--- K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>     I need to crank down an extended crank-up. It's
> got a standard hand
> boat-type winch at the bottom. Turning it one way
> ratchets and pulls the haul cable
> up. Turning the handle the other way just unscrews
> the winch handle. I can't
> see anything that might reverse the handle or allow
> it to turn backwards while
> lowering the tower. Any hints greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC

=====
David Greer