Re: [TowerTalk] BN-86

To: "Lee Buller" <>, "Bernard" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BN-86
From: "Carl" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:09:04 -0500
I think the BN4000 current balun is a good replacement for the BN86 if it's
still made.

Carl  K8AV

> I haved done this on a TH6DXX just four years ago.  Lets just say the BN86
> will fail when using full output of an amplifier for
long periods of time.  I have seen one burned up in my life.  What I did was to
put a RadioWorks 4 KW balun on my TH6DXX and works
just fine.  I used a couple of hose clamps to attach it to the boom.  IT has
bee up four years and haven't any problems.  The only
problem I have is the end caps get brittle and water gets into the traps.  Have
to replace them every 4-5 years.

> Bernard <> wrote:

> I am going to replace the BN-86 on my TH7 this Spring. I am wondering if
> anyone has bought a BN-86 since MFJ took over the
Hy-Gain operation? If so, what do you think of the quality of the balun?
> Anyone have any ideas for a "quality" balun to replace the BN-86.
> 73
> Bernard, WA4OEJ

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.