[TowerTalk] Re: steppir radio interface

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: steppir radio interface
From: edoc <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:32:18 -0500
And you then hear something & call it, transmitting into the antenna whilst
it's tuning.  D'oh!

Kelly later mentions leaving the antenna where it was after a band change, as
one might only be having a listen. I do the same, hear some mult in a contest,
mash the band button & then try to remember not to transmit into the antenna
until it has stopped tuning. D'oh!

A PTT lock-out is something that would be nice if it were included in the
controller & something that would definitely need to be taken into consideration
for an automagical SteppIR yagi stack controller - I cringe ever time I put just
400 watts into those wipers as they slide along... ;^)

For simple band switching, some sort of one-shot driven by a band decoder
could be used to mimic button pushes on the controller box & based on Kelly's
report of his experience with the frequency-slaving option, might just have to give
that a go. Thanks!

73, VR2BrettGraham

Why not just stack a Cushcraft D4 or similar 10-14-20-40M dipole above or below the Steppir beam for band scanning?

That way there is no problem with listening as the Steppir remains on
freq, or listening as the Steppir retunes once you've decided to transmit on a new freq or band?

73, doc kd4e