RE: [TowerTalk] 40M Steppir? Long answer coming

To: "Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604" <faunt@panix.com>,<gclute@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] 40M Steppir? Long answer coming
From: "Al Toothaker" <n6ta@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:56:18 -0800
I copy below my request for info on new yagis and this is what I got back.
Read from the bottom up, if you want it in time order:

Al,  Sorry I forgot wind loads.  As follows; The approximate wind load for
the 2 element is 7.7 sq feet, the 3 element ( two elements moxon type) 9.5
sq feet, the 4 element (two elements moxon type) 13.5 sq feet, the full
size 4 element (one element 36' three 70') 22 sq feet.
Regards Mike K7IR

Hi Al,

Sorry my e-mail wasn't very clear I'm always rushing it when I type because
I'm a hunt and pecker!  First it may clear a lot up if I explain the
element operation.  Any element we make will goes from zero length to its
full design length.  This means the 50' Moxon element works from 6.8mHz -
54mHz (higher actually because it goes to almost zero length - our balun
only makes 70mHz or so, thats the limit and the spacing is wayyy too far
between elements above 6M). This  means the 50' elements work perfectly
well on every frequency (yes even between hambands) from 6.8 mHz - 54
mHz.  Moxon just means we have bent the full length element in at the end
to give it an L shape the copper tape goes out a full 70' by turning the
corner.  Look in the Ham literature to see what a Moxon is - it looks like
a rectangle because you turn the ends of each of the 2 elements of a 2
element beam in towards each other and mechanically connect them for
strength.  The advantage is a shortened antenna that outperforms a fullsize
classic Yagi!!   This all of these antennas except the 2 el 40M - 15M will
work quite well on 6M just as they are.  However by adding 1 or 2 passive
elements (depending on whether its a 3 or 4 el model) it will make an
elephant gun on 6M!  The 2 el 40M - 15M will actually keep working at
higher frequencies with gain but diminishing F/R and a rising SWR.  The
spacing gets so wide that the impedance rises up to approaching 50 ohms and
our 25 ohm to 50 balun shows a 2:1 SWR, but you still have gain!
         The truss goes 32" up from the mast plate.  I hope this helps and
sorry for the confusion.

Regards Mike K7IR

At 11:27 AM 2/25/04, you wrote:
> [...]
>little 'slow' please allow me to summarize what I understood.  A couple of
>clarifications would be appreciated to allow me to completely focus and
make
>the choice.  I am referring to the ham bands and understand that they will
>work between as well.  50' elements 6.8MHz to 21.45MHz(or ??) and 36' from
>13.8MHz to 29MHz or so.
>
>First Design
>Frequency: 40-15m
>Boom:  10'
>Elements:  2 each 50' long
>Elements per band: 2 on 40-15m, 0 on 12-10m
>
>Option 1
>Frequency: 40-10m
>Boom: 17'
>Elements: 2 each 50' for 40-15m plus 1 each 36' for 20-10m
>Elements per band: 2 on 40 and 30m, 3 on 20-15m, 1 on 12-10m
>
>Option 2
>Frequency: 40-10m
>Boom: 32'
>Elements: 2 each 50' for 40-15m plus 2 each 36' for 20-10m
>Elements per band: 2 on 40 and 30m, 4 on 20-15m, 2 on 12-10m
>

>Second Design
>Frequency: 40-10m
>Boom: 32'
>Elements: 2 each ~67' for 40m plus 1 each 36' for 20-10m
>Elements active per band: 3 on 40m thru 15m or 10m?? and 1 on 20-10m.
>

>Questions that come to mind:
>1. When adding the optional 36' elements, I assume the 50' elements are
>still covering 15m.  You mention "will give 2 el on 6.8 mHz -13.8 MHz...".
>Seems like they should still be active to get the total number on 15m of 3
>or 4.
>
>2. You mention "either 3 or 4 elements the rest." when referring to adding
>the 1 or 2 additional 36' elements.  Do 12 and 10 meters really have 3/4
>total or 1/2 elements?  If adding 1/2 elements to the 50'ers, does the 50'
>now work above 15m?
>
>3. I assume one limitation to range involves how much BeCu tape you want to
>roll up in the center.
>
>4. Any rough estimate of wind load sq ft for Design 1 with the two added
>elements and for Design 2?  This is important relative to my tower and
mast.
>I have 50' 45G (guyed at 30' and 50') and a 20' 4130 2" mast.
>
>5. To work with the wind load, I need to know how much of my mast I can use
>so I need to know how far above the boom the truss is fixed to the mast.
>This also applies to the current 4 element.  I cannot find anything on your
>site that tells me where the truss is attached above the boom.
>
>6. You make no specific mention of 6m so I assume it is a casualty for
>getting the lower frequency coverage.
>
>Anyway, what is of primary interest to me is getting traditional 4 element
>SteppIR performance on 20-10m with something on 40-30m.  Answers to the
>above first two questions will clarify and help me decide if I want to
wait.

>Sorry for the minutia but I guess it is my nature.  Your comments on the
C31
>are interesting.  I will look for some info on how high the antennas are
>mounted on the range.
>
>Again, thank you very much, Mike.
>
>Regards,
>
>Al, N6TA