Re: [TowerTalk] preform for 3/16 guy wire

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] preform for 3/16 guy wire
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:41:06 EST
In a message dated 3/15/04 1:25:22 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
kb9cry@comcast.net writes:
Purchase from Preformed needs to be in case lots of 25 each but
one can buy them individually from Texas Towers.  You do need to buy the
type for your exact application, wire type and diameter.
Again, a very clean installation.  Phil  KB9CRY
I believe the new sales policy is you have to place a $500 minimum order with
Preformed now.  The last time I ordered about 9 months ago.

I agree with Phil though about the ease of use factor with the guy grips.
They are the ONLY way to go.  As for their holding power......I had a BIG front
end loader doing work in my yard and his bucket was raised as he he moved
around the yard.  Unfortuantely he snagged the lower 1/4 inch guy wire on my 40
meter tower.  I yelled to him to stop.  However, by the time he did, he had
pulled the guy wire so tight that it snapped at the catch point.  The tower
shuddered and shook almost as much as I did.  When I examined the guy grip I
found
that two of the wires from the guy had pulled about an inch out of the grip.
However, the grip did not fail, the guy wire did.  I think this is a pretty
good
testament as to the durability of the grips.

Bill