Re: [TowerTalk] Donation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "dan r goddard" <cqki8fh@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Donation
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:23:05 -0800
> I re- read my post about donating an antenna for tax purposes.  I must I
> apologize for miss leading you and all the hams on the list.  My post
> made it sound like we would give people any amount they wanted for the
> antenna.  That is just not true nor was it what I was trying to say. I
> was trying to say we would give a tax letter for the value of the
> antenna.  But it didn't come across that way.  I will try to be more
> careful in my posting next time.   Anyway several people responded to the
> post and 3 of those that responded had antennas they where willing to
> donate for tax purposes.  I believe the Ham Community is full of men and
> women, boys and girls whose hearts are tender and full of compassion and
> mercy.
>
> Sorry for misleading.
>
> Dan W8COC

Hi Dan,

Its my understanding of the IRS rules that the charity isn't supposed
to appraise the value of a property donation anyway. The letter from
the charity is only to acknowledge what was given. It is up to the donor
to appraise (or have appraised) the value of the item donated. This
valuation must be consistent with fair market value (e.g. the donor
is not supposed to just make up a number that sufficiently fattens his
refund check).

73 de Mike, W4EF..............