re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof boxes

To: Joe Reisert <W1JR@arrl.net>, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof boxes
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:51:55 -0800
At 11:15 AM 3/19/2004 -0500, Joe Reisert wrote:
Pete,

Yes, these Rubbermaid boxes are cheap but in a year or so, the UV rays from the sun will start to make the box brittle and eventually fall apart. This is from my experience using one of these boxes for my 160 meter Gamma match. The top just fell apart and the sides of the cover fell off!

73,

Joe, W1JR

Paint the box and the UV doesn't degrade it (as quickly)...A bit of experimenting will be required to find a paint that sticks (polyethylene is notoriously slippery and hard to paint) and doesn't flake off.