[TowerTalk] webcam atop the tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] webcam atop the tower
From: Didier Juges <didier@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:15:37 -0600
Michael,

I have one, similar to what you describe, near the top of my 50' tower (under the 2m beam). Make sure it is oriented such that the sun will not get into the picture. That would be assured destruction of the CCD sensor. Mine is looking down just enough that I do not see the horizon. It would be nice to have an elevation servo motor. I have been thinking about using one from my old RC model airplane days. I have made a protective hood for the cam with a piece of PVC tube normally used to protect the exhaust from the clothe dryer (looks a little like the hood of a baseball cap).

The X10 cams are not sensitive in low light, so at night, don't expect to see anything. They may have more sensitive models now, but I believe they are quite a bit more expensive.

Another problem, my wireless WiFi hub interferes with the cam, regardless of channel settings, even though some settings are better than others. Make sure you check which channel works best before putting the cam up there.

I have even written a Visual Basic webcam program to upload pictures to my web site periodically (download it from www.ko4bb.com, it is free). You will need a video capture card. I use a TV Tuner card which as a video input. Works great.

To follow on the thread about lightning, think of the responsibility of having something connected to AC going all the way up the tower. In my case, the thing is normally plugged off and I only plug it in when I want to play with it.

73,
Didier KO4BB