[TowerTalk] stepIR fiberglass

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] stepIR fiberglass
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:19:07 -0000
UV will surely degrade things, and at some point, you
undoubtedly WILL get rash from the steppIR tubes.

However...their telescoping tubes have an epoxy-covering
now.  They're quite smooth and easy to handle, as shipped.
Clean enough, in fact, that my wife chose to assemble and
tape the tubes IN OUR LIVING ROOM, and said it was fun.

After one year in Vermont, the antenna was taken down for
relocation.  The tubes were STILL quite clean/smooth, etc.
But I would expect that.

My guess is, 5-10 years downstream, you might start to see
degredation of the surface, depending on how far south you
live.  If you're in the Carribean, it will surely be sooner
than later.   (15-18 degs N lat vs 65)

NOW...to the boat analogy:  I have found that companionway
slat boards, which inevitably weather badly due to UV degredation
of the varnish, do very well when coated with epoxy.  Even in
the Carribean they last well...been sailing over 50 years...seen
a lot of 'em.

Therefore, my recommendation for the guy who asked the "should I
paint it?" question, is...it's already done.   And to the chap
who painted his boom to match...I'm planning the same thing here,
as soon as the tower is ready to go...great idea.

N2EA

Jim
jimjarvis@ieee.org