RE: [TowerTalk] Fw: Steppir and UV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Fw: Steppir and UV
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:48:16 -0800
>From my experience (25+ years) owning a now rather old
sailboat I can attest to the fact that epoxy based products
are NOT UV resistant. Polyurethanes are the way to go.
Epoxies breakdown quickly (approx. one year here in the
Pacific Northwest USA - a very forgiving UV environment).
Further, when we use epoxy based products for boat repair
virtually every manufacturer suggests/recommends over
coating the epoxy coating/gluing materials with something
other than epoxy based paints - polyurethanes being on the
top of the list.

One note of caution... There are some paint products out
there that advertise themselves as 'single part
polyurethanes' but if you look at the ingredients label you
will find that they are composed of 'alkalyd resins" (i.e.,
think good house paint). Despite the labeling they are not
true polyurethanes and will not hold up as well. They may be
perfectly adequate for your use but they are NOT true
polyurethanes but rather an advertising gimmick taking
advantage of a rather wimpy "truth in labeling' law.

As Steve, K7LXC mentions in another post - "RF transparency"
is another issue. I can only address the 'paint life" issue.
Real polyurethanes (typically 2 part) are toxic, and
(depending on formulation) can be difficult to apply some
mandating spray application although others are specifically
formulated for brush application. Most all polyurethanes are
TOXIC and deserve considerable care in application. Spray
being by far the worst case scenario. To paraphrase what
Steve has said numerous times ".. Follow the d!#*
directions..." the really good stuff can be dangerous if you
don't pay attention..  The typical 'nuisance' dust mask is
NOT appropriate if you intend to spray these materials.
Follow the manufactures directions. The brush-able materials
have a very good life span but by virtue of formulation and
the absence of the mist associated with spraying are far
less hazardous to your health. Read and follow ALL
directions on these products.

Also note that some products will suggest/recommend an epoxy
undercoat and a poly overcoat. This is to ensure good
adhesion to the underlying fiberglass (typically
polyurethane based resin coating). The entire "fiberglass"
materials field is filled with complications at the chemical
level. Following the instructions is once again key.

 As other have asked in this thread "...What does the
manufacturer (Steppir) recommend?" That's really the main
question of the day.

73
Patrick
W7TMT