[TowerTalk] 55 foot Rohn 25G proposed tower, source for HDhousebracket?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 55 foot Rohn 25G proposed tower, source for HDhousebracket?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:15:20 -0400
On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:05 AM, Jim Idelson wrote:

3. You may encounter the CLANGING problem. Wires, cables and any other
hardware that is not securely attached may vibrate or hit the tower in the
wind. This will resonate inside the house.

I had a "tapping" problem with my bracketed tower. Winds caused the coax to "tap" against the tower. Really annoying. judicious use of tape eliminated this problem.

4. You may also encounter the CREAKING problem. This one is much more
difficult to resolve. Again, this problem occurs when there is wind. It doesn't
take much to do it. As the antenna blows in the wind, there is going to be a
certain amount of twisting and swaying of the tower. These forces may cause
tower joints to move a bit - squeaking - and additional forces will be applied
to the housebracket, which efficiently conducts the sounds to the house.

My bracketed tower does NOT creak. I think the use of TWO brackets helps reduce the shift of the tower. Even in strong winds (40 MPH), my tower does not budge.

Another annoying kind of sound that can be conducted to the
house is the vibration of the yagi elements in the wind.

My tower does this. Only on the strongest gusts, the antenna elements vibrate at very low frequencies. More of a sub-audible hum.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901