[TowerTalk] AEA VIA or CIA?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AEA VIA or CIA?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:25:13 -0500
I've used a CIA-HF for while that I borrowed from another ham, but it's
time for me to buy my own. I also have a GR-1606 in the closet, but the
CIA and VIA fit in my briefcase. I like the CIA, but am wondering if I
should consider the newer VIA. The reviews I've seen suggest that it is
faster, but at least one review suggests that it may also have better
accuracy.

I want to get good complex data that I can put on a Smith chart,
translate it to the antenna, etc. Accuracy is more important than
speed, but speed is nice. Computer interface is also nice, and if the
VIA allows it to be done much better, that's a plus. One of the
shortcomings of the CIA-HF is that the sign of the reactance is
sometimes indeterminate (or wrong).

So does anyone have either or both of these analyzers?

Jim Brown K9YC