Re: [TowerTalk] Windmill Towers

To: <K3BU@aol.com>, <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Windmill Towers
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:07:02 -0400
TT:

     I had the same problem hauling my Skyhawk up the side of my Trylon.  I
had to haul the antenna up to the mast nose forward, that is, with the
directors pointing up, so it could clear the trees in my crowded back yard.
The first time I tried, the Yagi snagged on the bolts protruding from the
tapered sides of the tower.

     I strung a two-rope track somewhat parallel to the tower side from
tower top to ground level.  I attached the bottoms of the rope tracks to
rebar stakes driven into the ground a few feet off the tower face.  Then my
ground crew was able to haul the Yagi up to the mast, allowing the elements
to ride clear of the tower on the two-rope track, by attaching a pull rope
to the antenna, up to a gin pole, then back to ground.  At the top I had to
spin the Skyhawk on a few axes to get it into the proper position for
clamping to the mast plate, but it worked pretty well.

     I believe this method is also known as trolleying and  Yuri's suggested
method is called tramming.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F