Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Town Code Definition Conundrum

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Town Code Definition Conundrum
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:00:32 -0500
"Got home and started digging in. Well, I think that this was written for only commercial users. "

The following is only my opinion and can be taken for whatever you wish. Also, the following, in my opinion, should be followed unless you literally live in the middle of nowhere, meaning no other residence for many miles. Even if you live in an unincorporated county but have residences within somewhat close proximity (1000 ft or less maybe) my guidance should be followed.

Even if there is no specific ordinance against amateur radio installations and antenna support structures (they're not towers, they're support structures, even if you load it up and use it as an antenna, it's still a support structure) they do have one thing in common.
They all have structural concrete, meaning specifically mixed "structural" concrete with steel reinforcing bars inside. All building inspection departments need to inspect that, if nothing else. That's what inspectors do, they inspect concrete. Here in Will County, I learned that there also is no amateur regulation but I convinced them that I had concrete that they needed to inspect and they eventually gave in and gave me a permit. I needed a permit because I wanted to be totally legal when I get incorporated into the encroaching village who has very restrictive ordinances.

So in conclusion, if you have structural concrete, then you should get a permit because that's what inspectors need to do, inspect concrete. Doing so also usually goes a long way in establishing a good rapport with the building dept. and that alone can be worth it's weight in gold at a later date. Phil KB9CRY