[TowerTalk] Town Code Conundrum THANKS!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Town Code Conundrum THANKS!
From: "Mark S. Adams, P.E." <msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:01:18 -0400
Hi Gang,

Here is my GROUP thank you for the MANY responses I received.

As I said, I had not run into a town in NY that did not specify Amateur Radio in its code regarding structures. Everyone's opinion concurred with mine, that Newstead, NY does not regulate Amateur Radio towers by definition in its zoning laws.

All that said, I wrote to the Town zoning board requesting that they use me as a resource in modifying the local code to cover hams. This way, a reasonable set of rules can be put into place. I now live in the next town due west of Newstead, the Town of Clarence. Not too many years ago Clarence did not have specific rules for hams. One of the local DX club members helped the town craft its new rules. If any of you have what you believe is a very good set of model zoning laws, please forward them to me!

So, I will keep working on them. As I told the zoning folks, I am fully supportive of their efforts and these structures need to be accommodated, properly installed and maintained.

As a side note, we are in the 70 MPH zone for wind speed. But yesterday, a wicked storm blew through WNY packing winds as high as 86 MPH as recorded at Niagara Falls airport. (Actually, NF may be in the 80 MPH zone.) The moral is, don't overload your tower.

73,
Mark K2QO
ARRL VCE
FAX: 716-829-2704