Re: [TowerTalk] Flexable Type Coax for a Telescoping Tower

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Flexable Type Coax for a Telescoping Tower
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:51:40 +0000
"Dave Anderson, K4SV" wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of coax that is low loss from the
> tower base to the top that is flexable?  I plan to run 7/8 Hardline to the
> bottom but desire a low loss run to the top at 120 feet long.  Also plan to
> use the Coax arms with my HDX 589 Tower.
---------

Dave, you didn't mention the frequency of the antenna you were going
to use. IF it is a single band Yagi, there is absolutely no reason you
cannot use the hard line all the way to the top ( unless it's a crank
up ). At the top, use the necessary length of RG-11 to transition from
the hard line to the antenna. Now back at the other end of the hard
line, use the shortest length of RG-11 + at least .6 electrical wave
at the resonant frequency.

Then slowly trim the RG-11 to the radio until your SWR reading is
identical to that which existed with a short length of RG8. You have
now formed an electrical half wave which will repeat the antenna
impedance at the other end.

Great for 6 and 2 meter antenna mounted on towers...On 2, the maximum
extra length you might have to add is less than 36".

GL
73
Ed