[TowerTalk] Yaesu rotors

Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu rotors
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:23:50 -0600
First, many thanks for the overwhelming response to my query about rotatable
HF antennas. The vast majority of you seem to think the SteppIR yagi is the
greatest thing since the discovery of the ionosphere! I'm looking at it
closely, and it certainly looks like the best possible choice for my
implementation -- except for the cost. I'll be balancing that against how
badly I want it for a little while yet.  Thanks again.

Now, the next question. I currently have a light-weight Yaesu G-450A rotor
turning my 5-el 6M beam, and it's done an outstanding job for me. The
antenna is relatively small, of course, so the fact that I've had no problem
with "free-wheeling" during windstorms may not mean much. However, that
rotor is not going to turn a SteppIR or any other full-size HF yagi. I'm
going to need to upgrade to a much beefier rotor for the new HF
installation, and I'm looking at the Yaesu G-1000DXA, which after
calculating out the loads and "K-factors" will give me plenty of margin on
all parameters.

I've read a few reviews of Yaesu rotors that disparage them pretty
heavily -- along with some reviews that like them a lot, of course. I know
there are a lot of fans on this reflector of the Alfa-Spid rotor. (Sounds
like a World War I fighter plane to me...) It's a couple hundred bucks more
money than I wanted to spend, especially in light of buying a SteppIR, and
the 12VDC power supply issue puts me off a bit. And, I'm REALLY attached to
the visually-intuitive Yaesu 360-degree analog dial. I really don't want to
go away from that. Plus, the Yaesu is compatible with the computer control
interface I'm planning to use, which is in turn compatible with my logging
program. (Not that certain other configurations would be, too.)

So everything points me to a G-1000DXA rotor. But I'm nevertheless inviting
anyone with actual experience with Yaesu rotors to hit me with your best
shot, and try to convince me that I'm a damn fool if I buy one.  :-)

Bill / W5WVO