Re: [TowerTalk] FCC's NPRM on BPL

To: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FCC's NPRM on BPL
From: Cameron Crum <ccrum@dot11net.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:06:46 -0500
Last time I checked, neither the UN nor the ITU had anything to do with spectum management. If they did, can anyone guess how many resolutions would have to be passed before they actually tried to enforce a rule on who could transmit what? What a nightmare that would be.

Cameron

VR2BrettGraham wrote:

K4IA added:

Even minimal signals (less than 100mw) in the HF bands can travel hundreds
or thousands of miles. This raises several issues with BPL.

The radio spectrum is governed by international treaty. How do we implement
a system that potentially infringes on radio services in other countries? If
we ignore our obligations under those treaties, how do we protect our spectrum
from their transmissions?

<snip>

There is a reason every other country who experimented with this technology
has rejected it.

Those countries respect the UN & by extension, the ITU?

They probably pay their UN dues, too. ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham