Re: [TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

To: "Allen (Marty) Martin" <w7apm@mtaonline.net>,"J.P." <jp@ezoom.net>, <pmills7@houston.rr.com>, <k2qmf@juno.com>,<AB2OS@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:57:27 -0700
It think it is unlikely that either candidate will have a
significantly different position with respect to BPL. The
concept of increased broadband access will sell very
well to either constituency. In fact, publicly opposing BPL
would probaby be a poor election year strategy for either
candidate (imagine "and my opponent voted against
authorizing a new technology that would help bring cheap
broadband internet access to millions of Americans").
Besides, what gets said by candidates in an election
year and what actually happens when they are elected
is oftentimes unrelated. The FCC seems to be taking
the position that they want the market to decide. That
is probably our best hope (in a competitive environment,
I think BPL has very shakey legs as a viable business
enterprise).