RE: [BULK] - Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?

To: 'Bill VanAlstyne' <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:00:07 -0700
Bill,

I've used Bury-Flex and also 9913F7, as well as other clones like IEWC
9096-IIA and Cable XPerts CXP1318FX.  These are all quite similar.

I can't tell a lot of difference between them; however to rate a foam
dielectric cable having a stranded center conductor up to 4 GHz takes a lot
of intestinal fortitude, since stranded conductor cables start falling off
much above 1 GHz, especially when the dielectric containing them is as soft
and spongy as cellular PE.  LMR400 and cables having foam dielectrics but
with a solid center conductor are much more likely to maintain
characteristics at such high frequencies; at 4 GHz rarely does anyone use
stranded conductor cables for much of anything, much less transmission lines
where attenuation is an important parameter.

While Belden manufactures its own cables and these other brands don't, most
of the American-made coax of this construction comes from a small handful of
mills who private label for anyone buying sufficient quantities; in my
experience, "sufficient quantities" isn't very much.  I've been offered
private label service for quantities as small as 5000 feet (five x 1000'
spools).  Unless and until materials change to ones less toxic when melted
or burned, most of this manufacturing seems to be occurring in older cities
east of the Mississippi having less stringent EPA requirements than my home
state (California), where making anything from PVC is difficult (toxic fumes
at high temperatures).

The cables having a 100% foil shield (as the primary outer conductor, with a
secondary conductor made of braid for clamping/soldering) shouldn't
contaminate no matter what the jacket does, since the foil stops migration.

If the Belden product costs only $.20/foot more and seems better, I'd
certainly use it.  Small investment spread over the operating life of the
cable, which is probably ten years.  I haven't swept any of the 9913F7 up to
4 GHz, but that would be interesting, especially if done after bending it...

-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill