[TowerTalk] RE: More on President Bush's Speech

Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: More on President Bush's Speech
From: "Sumner, Dave, K1ZZ" <dsumner@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:35:17 -0400
The official ARRL response, sent yesterday with the attachment, is below.

We'll be launching a grassroots campaign later today.

Dave K1ZZ

ARRL - The National Association for Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111
(860) 594-0200

April 26, 2004

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Via FAX (202) 456-2461

Dear Mr. President:

Today you said: "There needs to be technical standards to make possible new
broadband technologies, such as the use of high-speed communication directly
over power lines. Power lines were for electricity; power lines can be used for
broadband technology. So the technical standards need to be changed to
encourage that."

This is the wrong direction for your administration to take. While everyone is
of course supportive of bringing broadband services to more consumers at lower
cost, broadband over power lines is an inappropriate technology with far
greater disadvantages than advantages.

Power lines were designed to transmit energy. They were not designed to
transmit broadband signals, which in fact are radio-frequency signals. The
broadband signals radiate from power lines and cause severe interference to
radio reception. This has been shown time and time again at test sites
throughout this country and overseas. You may have been told otherwise; if so,
you were misinformed. Your staff can check this at our Web site,
www.arrl.org/bpl < http://www.arrl.org/bpl>.

The existing technical standards for broadband over power lines are already too
permissive. The FCC has proposed to tighten them by requiring certain
mitigation procedures in the event of interference, but has not gone nearly far
enough to protect the interests of radio communications services, including
police, fire, and EMT "first responders," as well as radio amateurs, short wave
listeners, and many other users of the radio spectrum. I am enclosing a
two-page explanation of our concerns.

Please withdraw your support for broadband over power lines and focus your
administration's attention on more suitable technologies, such as Broadband
Wireless Access. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jim Haynie, W5JBP
President, ARRL