RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Alternate method, PL-259 on RG-8-type co ax

Subject: RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Alternate method, PL-259 on RG-8-type co ax
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:56:09 -0700
The approach detailed probably works pretty well at HF, and not as well at
VHF-UHF because the impedance discontinuity introduced by the PL259 is now
made even longer by the method prescribed.  Also, if you can thread the
PL259 body onto the braid-over-jacket combination, you're likely damaging
the braid by cutting strands, since the PL259 dimensions are maintained by
design specifically to tightly thread onto the outer jacket of .405" O.D.
cable *without* the braid being present.  Also, by not filling the body
solder holes in the PL259 body, and also by not tightly threading the
connector body directly onto the jacket as intended, you've voided a lot of
the weatherproof features of the connector design.  (A PL259 properly
installed onto properly toleranced RG cable is quite weatherproof -- in many
cases, more so than a type N, especially when UG21 connectors intended for
RG214 are actually used with RG213 -- a very common application -- which
leaves a pretty big gap inside the rear nut of the connector.)  I have
demonstrated many times that a PL259 properly installed (threaded on and
fully soldered, including the four body solder holes) onto properly
dimensioned RG213/U is so weatherproof that it can be considered water tight
at one atmosphere, tested by complete immersion in a seawater tank while
making dynamic measurements on the cable in-circuit.  Many times!  In fact,
I did this at the Dayton Hamvention in 1982, at the outdoor swap meet with
about a hundred hams watching in disbelief.  It's an easily repeatable test.
No heatshrink required.  The results might not be very good at several
atmospheres, but at sea level, I can make it work.  Thus, my take on this is
there's really no reason to install PL259's any differently than they way
they were originally designed to install.  It's a good, solid way that
doesn't damage or overheat anything if the proper tools are used (which of
course includes the use of a large thermal mass soldering tool, not a
pencil, not a flame, and not an instant-heat gun).  -WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill