[TowerTalk] Cushcraft 2 el 40 design

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 2 el 40 design
From: "David L. Thompson" <>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 22:56:25 -0400
The discussion about the 402 CD reminds me the basic design for the beam was
published in the ARRL Antenna book about 1980. What is shown is a 3 el 36
foot boom with coil and capacity hat.   The 2 el version is 23 feet or about
the boom size of the Cushcraft.

The only thing that can be improved in my mind is to improve the Q of the
coil.  But the lower Q coil allows you somewhat wider bandwidth.  Mine is by
far the best beam I have used on 40
and I remember beating W4ZR and his 4 el KLM and the 3 el 29 foot boom at
N4RJ.  Plus it works on 17 and is as good on 15 as my KT 34XA (it is 10 feet
higher but needs a tuner on 15).
I remember working 9M6CT on 15 and switching between the beams and Phil told
me I was equal strength.  I have even used it on 160 before I installed my
remote coax switch. I still use it as a 160 RX antenna.

73 Dave K4JRB

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.