Re: [TowerTalk] 3000' feedline...can I make it work?

To: "Paul" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3000' feedline...can I make it work?
From: "Michael Tope" <>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 10:43:36 -0700
From: "Paul" <>

> Hi Group,
> Thank you for all of the replies. Lot's of good ideas were offered. I had
> another look around the property, and found that if I go the other
> direction, ie away from the mountain down into the meadow below, I should
> able to get about 25 deg takeoff angle. Not great, but not bad either, and
> only 600' of feedline.  I still may try running the 3000' up the mountain
> but the meadow looks much easier to start with.
> I also found out that the aluminum wire I have is ACSR/AW 4ga, 6 strands
> aluminum around a galvanized steel core. Has anyone had any good or bad
> experiences with this material? Will it work for RF as well as say 8 or
> copper? It has a very tough outer plastic jacket.
> Thanks again,

If your goal is to make domestic low-band contacts, you will probably
be quite happy with a 25 degree take-off-angle. If you want to do any DXing,
you may want to reconsider settling for the 600' run to the meadow. I have
a 12 deg mountain to my northeast which just kills the high bands in that
direction. The lowbands are mediocre at best. In contrast I my house sits
about 1000' above the valley floor looking west. In that direction I do
very well with very simple antennas.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.