Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: "GALE STEWARD" <k3nd@yahoo.com>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 18:38:26 -0600
That's why I asked the question if anyone had used Chem Rod before.  I am still
interested in knowing of successful installations for my type of soil.  The
system uses hollow rods you drive down into the rocky soil (using a long rock
drill bit).  You then pour chemicals inside the rod.  The chemicals seep into
the subsurface and lower the impedance.  One of the calculations I was looking
at can drop impedance from 300 down to 5 ohms with using only 4 of these rods.
(Assumes rocky soil, but impedance testing would be best to assure that is the
right scenario).  If this works, it is exactly what I need to do to put my
tower up.  It will be the tallest structure within 10 mile radius of the QTH,
thus I am assuming the worst case for lightning protection.

73,
Pete
W0RTT