[TowerTalk] I finally figured a way to stop mast slippage

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I finally figured a way to stop mast slippage
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 07:35:14 -0500
My old Wilson rotatable has two small bolts that serve as set screws to clamp
the mast in
the tube.
Tighten the two bolts is SUPPOSED to stop mast slippage.
But I was always reluctant to really crank down on them for fear of breaking
them off or
stripping them out.

I really didn't want to drill out the chrome moly mast either.
The recent 40 mph+ winds in Chicagoland had me 'correcting' for windage
frequently.

So I finally came up with a design that was cheap, easy to install, and seems
to have
solved the problem of misalignment.

I got two small 'clip angles' from work.
These are 4" long 4X4 wide angle irons, about 1/4" thick.

I drilled two sets of holes for 2 1/2" U bolts in one and two sets of 2" U
bolts in the
other.

The 2 1/2" clamp piece was put on the mast insertion tube.
The 2" clamp piece goes around the mast.

There will be a slight difference in position due to the 'insertion tube on the
tower'
being a larger size than the mast, but the two clips angles should line up in
the
horizontal plane.
I then clamped them together and drilled two 3/8" holes through the horizontal
plates.
Make sure the antenna is properly oriented and bolt the two plates together and
tighten
all the U bolts.

Fortunately for me, my Wilson tower is right next to the large chimney on my
roof so I
could stand on the chimney and easily do the final drilling and tightening.

Hope this gives someone an idea on solving a similar problem.
In my case, where the rotor is mounted at the bottom of the Wilson tower, this
does not
add appreciable strain on the rotor.
In the case of a top mounted rotor, you may want to consider the slippage vs.
rotor damage
before adding my clamp system.

Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress.

Bill H. in Chicagoland