[TowerTalk] insurance companies in general

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] insurance companies in general
From: John Silberman <blkcat28@atlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 13:50:12 -0400
I'm really sick and tired of hearing about the insurance companies 9-11 losses.
 Look at all the years they didn't have losses like that and ending up buying
big parcels in big cities and
building hugh buildings so the don't show an enormous profit.  When they have a
hugh loss, they should sell one of their skyscrapers to foot the bill, but they
won't.  Wonder what the
Transamerica building in Chicago is worth?  How about Prudential's buildings?
They love to tell you that they lose money because they are paying out more
than they collected in premiums.
Another slight of hand.  They don't tell you of the money they made from
investing the billions of dollars in premiums before they had to pay out. They
may keep you on the line for a year
before you collect what they should have paid up front, why? Because they are
earning money with your premium dollars while they keep you waiting.  If you
have a $10,000 claim, at 5% (they
do make at lease that) they make $500 a year or $1.37 a day not paying you.
Not much? How many claims from home, car accidents, thefts, etc do you think
are pending?  10,000?  20,000?
probably closer to 500,000. at $1.37 a day is $685,000 A DAY. Not chump change.

By the way, the insurance industry has re-couped it's 9-11 loses already.  We
should all be in the insurance industry.

I'll stop before my ranting goes too far.  The insurance thread got me started,
sorry.

If you've put up with me this far, I have a suggestion that could save/bring
you some money.  When the insurance company finally pays you, it's the dollar
amount of the loss, no matter how
far down the line it is. In some states, maybe all but I'm not sure, if you
file a lawsuit to collect your money from the insurance company, interest for
you starts as soon as the suit is
filed.  Just file the suit, don't spend a  lot of dollars on the lawyer for
anything else.  Don't use a lawyer who gets a percentage, just one who will see
you for a half hour and do the
filing. They if they drag it out, you get more interest.  This usually gets
your payment much earlier; they hate to pay interest.

John