Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259 vs 259B ??

To: "Bill VanAlstyne" <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259 vs 259B ??
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:23:56 -0400
> CAUTION -- second-hand information! I have a 259B, and
have never personally
> seen or used an original 259. Having given that caveat --
a friend of mine has
> one, and he told me that one principle difference is that
the 259 doesn't show
> reactance (X) and resistance (R) on the LCD panel. Just
net Z and SWR.

Actually the 259 doesn't even read Z. It reads R but only
when reactance is zero.

The 259B has the ability to do dozens of things extra, since
it reads R and X. It does not know the sign of X, but nether
do instruments that claim to tell you the sign. They just

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.